The City of Santa Fe was recently awarded a grant by the New Mexico Department of Transportation for infrastructure improvements under the Safe Routes to School Program. Proposed improvements are located around various K through 8 schools in the city. Construction is scheduled to start late to mid-Fall 2013. Improvements and locations are summarized as follows:
- Zia Rd. – Chaparral Elementary School and Capshaw Middle School: Pedestrian improvements including sidewalk between Portavela Street and Ardor Street and sidewalk and crossings between the Cancer Institute and Chelsea Lane.
- La Madera St. – Aspen Community Magnet School: Pedestrian improvements between Alto St. and Agua Fria that may include traffic calming, medians and crossings.
- Botulph Rd. – Capshaw Middle School, Santa Fe Girls School, and EJ Martinez Elementary School: Pedestrian improvements including sidewalk, curb and gutter between Siringo Rd. and Kiva Court.
- Rio Vista/Placita de Oro – Gonzales Community School: Pedestrian and intersection improvements including traffic calming and crossings.
- South Meadows Rd. – Ortiz Middle School and Sweeny Elementary School: Pedestrian improvements including crossings between Airport Rd. and Jaguar Drive.
- Catron St. – Carlos Gilbert Elementary School: Pedestrian and intersection improvements including sidewalk and crossings between Guadalupe St. and Griffin St.
- Paseo del Sol & Avenida Contenta – Cesar Chavez Elementary School: Pedestrian improvements including sidewalk, crossing and various street improvements around Cesar Chavez Elementary School.
For more information, please contact LeAnn Valdez with the City of Santa Fe Public Works Department Roadway and Trails Engineering Division at (505) 955-6931 or via email at email@example.com.