Friday, April 24, 2009

Arbor Day

TreeToday is Arbor Day, started by J. Sterling Morton of Nebraska City, Nebraska, in 1872 to encourage tree planting and care. We all know why trees are important—take the time this weekend, if you can, to plant one, or feed and water one, or just sit and lean against a favorite old friend and appreciate what it gives to you and the world.

There are many, many literary references to trees, but two poems come to mind today. The first, Joyce Kilmer’s familiar piece:

“Trees”

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.


And then, Ogden Nash’s parody:

“Song of the Open Road”

I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree.
Indeed, unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all.

by RG @ Main

No comments: