Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Cynic’s View of the Olympics

Vancouver Olympics LogoLike everyone else, I’ve had one eye glued to a television the last several days, watching the Olympics. And I wonder: does every average person watch the Olympics and wonder what sport they might like to try their hand at, which one could suit their personality, or at which they could maybe distinguish themselves? Well, I don’t. I hate snow. I hate cold. And I would be really, really inefficient at anything involving a ski or ice.

So my thoughts turn more to things that aren’t Olympic sports, but could be, if the universe were aligned expressly so that I could win a medal. Something at which I am really good (like baking), or want to be really good (like power napping), or with which I am obsessed (dare I say flossing). Alas, if these things were medal-worthy, any old average person could win, and that would defeat the whole purpose of the Olympics, which is where people train for their whole lives to really stand out and accomplish something amazing.

But I’ll tell you something. I’ve given it a lot of thought, and there is no way I would want to reduce my entire existence on this planet to one moment in time (or several, if you’re someone like Apolo Ohno) rising so far above the rest like a mountain peak. Sure, Olympic athletes accomplish something incredible, and I can appreciate that, and enjoy watching it. But for me personally, I’d rather have every moment count as something precious, rather than one sparkling moment that towers over and overshadows everything else I would ever do in my life, where the parts of your life are segmented into the lead up and the let down.

Mind you, I haven’t won any medals. And it’s pretty obvious people in Vancouver right now feel differently about it. But still, I am very pleased to be an average person leading an average life, where the littlest things make me happiest, and I don’t have to deal with snow except on my way to work.

Now, let’s get on with things – I can’t wait for the rest of the figure skating!

by AA @Main

No comments: