Monday, December 07, 2009

Young Native Artists Show and Sale

Saturday and Sunday, December 12th and 13th
10:00 am - 4:00 pm

John Gaw Meem Room
New Mexico History Museum
Entrance on Washington Ave. next to the Palace Gift Shop.

Portal ArtistMost Santa Feans and most likely every tourist has shopped under the portal at the Palace of the Governors for exquisite Native American jewelry over the years. What most people do not know is that the Native American artists must be 18 years of age to sell on the Portal. To meet the needs of the many younger, talented artists, the Young Native Americans Artist Show and Sale for the children of the Portal Artists was created.

For the past four years, the Main Library has had the privilege of hosting this program while the New Mexico History Museum completed its expansion. I had the honor of working closely with the Native American Portal Committee to help coordinate the program at the Library. Trust me, it was no imposition.

On the morning of the event the parents, aunts and uncles and children would line up outside the Library, many having driven for hours to get to Santa Fe. Over the four years, I have seen children grow into adult artists with the greatest creativity and talent. My office is a brighter place with art by Camile, pottery by Mitchell, and figurines by Beth. And my jewelry is commented on every time I wear a piece by Tammy, Bradley or Richard. I have watched these talented young people grow, not only physically, but in their many artistic skills. Tammy has grown from a quiet 9-year-old into a vivacious teenager, eager to show her work and let people know how she creates her work.

This year I have the honor of cutting the ribbon to open this Show and Sale; I serve as a kind of honorary godmother to the project and to the children. They did not have to ask me if I would be there to do the honors, they knew I would be there anyway for our incredible young artists.

We have found that tourists have called the library weeks in advance to make sure they had the correct dates as they so enjoy this Show and Sale. Don’t miss meeting these talented young artists. Come join us.

by PCH @Main

No comments: