Friday, December 11, 2009

I've Been Schooled

A Dictionary of Modern American UsageNot often, but often enough, I've been hearing or reading the phrase, "a myriad of," and my ears or eyes chafe. Let's say the original sentence is "You have a myriad of possibilities," using myriad as a noun. Well, my inner editor would immediately do some cutting in order to hear, "You have myriad possibilities," where myriad is an elegant and economical and lyrical adjective.

My inner indignant editor finally reached critical mass today, and I went to the convenient Merriam-Webster. According to this trusted source...I'm wrong, but apparently I'm in a wrong majority. Myriad can function as both a noun and an adjective, and its use as a noun precedes the adjective by about two centuries. M-W even editorializes in its usage section:
"The noun myriad has appeared in the works of such writers as Milton (plural myriads) and Thoreau (a myriad of), and it continues to occur frequently in reputable English. There is no reason to avoid it." [Emphasis added.]

Just to make sure, indubitably sure, I consulted two of my favorite word sites for confirmation: A.Word.A.Day and World Wide Words. They both back up Merriam-Webster, albeit with a tad less scolding. AWAD has even fielded letters about this word, while making pleas to all to allow the English language to breathe and grow.

So, my ears and eyes must adjust to this breathing growing language. I can start by saying how thankful I am that everytime I sit down to write, I have a myriad of words to choose from. It still sticks a bit, but at least it's not incorrect.

No comments: