Monday, November 16, 2009

The Art of Slow Communication

CalligraphyI still handwrite letters with my holiday cards. I know that may seem old-fashioned, but I like doing it and hope the recipients enjoy the personal touch. It seems in this world there is no limit as to how fast we must act, talk, read, and write to meet the ever increasing demands on our time.

Of course, I was raised by an English teacher, so good penmanship was taught and valued in our home. In fact my first job was to hand-letter the library code on all the fiction books in my Junior High library. I used a pen and white ink. So for me there is nothing better than to curl up in front of a fire with my note cards and pens…except maybe to curl up in front of a fire with a good book.

If you are interested in learning tips and techniques for hand-addressing holiday envelopes and making simple heartfelt cards, the La Farge Branch Library will host artist and professional calligrapher, Sherry Bishop, on Tuesday, December 1st from 6:30 – 8:30 pm. Ms. Bishop will present a two-hour hands on adult workshop entitled, “Calligraphy, Handwriting, and the Gift of a Letter”. All materials will be provided. Bring your address book. Space is limited, so call 955-4862 to register.

by SAS

No comments: