Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Veterans Day in Santa Fe

I always think of Veterans Day with a certain gravitas, probably because of the stories I’ve heard from my dad about World War II, which include the liberation of the Mauthausen concentration camp. Luckily, every year my family and I participate in Santa Fe’s Veterans Day parade and ceremony, and it reminds me that showing gratitude to our veterans and celebrating this day with them can also be a joyous occasion. Many of the day’s speeches stressed the importance of taking care of the veterans once they return home, and discussed programs being put into effect now that do just that. Also, I learned that there is a submarine named Santa Fe, since some of the crew were there. And there were many reminders of the ones who did not make it home. But my personal favorite part of the day is thanking the vets for their service, and most of all I love to watch people thank my dad.







by AA @Main

No comments: